Friday, September 10, 2010

Ode to the Babysitter

I put my dress on, applied the foundation.... eyeshadow... eyeliner... lipstick... lipgloss... bronzer... and slipped into some heels.  Every time I get ready for the club I feel like I'm putting on a whole different person.  The very core of me is a Mum... a homebody who would stay home every night and do dorky things like drink hot chocolate and watch movies.  I'd love to have someone to cook for, clean for, and make a life with.  But as I'm not... I get ready and walk out the door for work when the rest of the world (minus the party-goers) is going to bed.


Whilst getting ready to go and dj last night... one of my girls hopped on a bus with her bags, walked to my house and prepared to watch my daughter while I was working.  I have a group of these people in my life - the "babysitters".  These people are the biggest blessings I have.  They are the partner I don't have, the other half who can be there when I can't.  They sacrifice their time so that I can support my daughter.


There's one girl who I mentioned earlier... who catches a bus straight from work or the gym to my house, and stays the night.... and she'll do it time and time again - never complaining but always there with her arms outstretched ready to give baby the biggest hug she's ever had.  There's my brothers, who step in like fathers for her when I need them.  There's the other single mum who once did the impossible and watched my daughter with her 2 year old daughter... and the girl who watched her a couple of times when I couldn't find anyone. There's the couple who will drive out and pick her up if I'm having car troubles so she can stay with them for the night, who have watched her more than anyone else... and treat her as well as I would treat her. They deserve a medal. 


These people are such gifts to me... and I couldn't do it without them.  It's hard in the world we live in to know who to trust... and it would be nice to have the luxury of keeping her only with me.  But being in the situation I'm in, I love the people I have around me who help me every step of the way.  I appreciate all of them more than they'll ever know, I trust them with my life - my daughter, and I couldn't do it without them.


Thank you to my babysitters... especially the ones who do it regularly.  I know my daughter's face lights up every time she sees you and words can't express how deeply grateful I am that you love her the same way a family would.... and I want you to know I truly do consider you family. 


This post is for you... THANK YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment