Thursday, September 16, 2010

Springtime...!

Nostalgic would be the word best used to describe my mood all day today.  Which is slightly odd considering I had a Research Statistics exam first thing in the morning.  Despite that, however, I felt like I was walking around on some sort of cloud of happiness today. Everything seemed so amazingly beautiful!  I'll rewind to last night....


Last night was not much better in terms of cherub's sickness.  We're booked in to see a doctor tomorrow, but I couldn't get her there any earlier as the first few days of the week are quite full on with Uni.  I think I went through about 6 nappies and two cot sheet changes throughout the night, with Panadol administrations a couple of times to try and ease the raging fever.  Needless to say, my sleep has averaged out to around 3 hours a night.


Perhaps when you're really, really tired for a certain amount of days in a row your body suddenly decides it loves the lack of sleep? I'm not sure, but I woke up the happiest camper in the world this morning! Bed at 4am, up at 7am... I sipped some of a V but didn't really need it - I was already rearing to go.  After dropping bubba to daycare and instructing them to call me should the sickness pop up again (apparently she's fine during the day?!), I parked my car at uni and stepped out into the beautifully warm sunshine and gale-force wind.  I didn't even care about the wind... the sun was heaven!  And for some reason, even the wind was making me feel alive.


I walked to the outside auditorium and waited with the other hundreds of students, anxiously awaiting the open doors signalling time for our exam start.  I was happy to sit there, amongst the crowds of people, all waiting for the same thing... some stressed, some still studying, some in groups laughing like it was lunchtime, some whispering behind their hands and pointing at others.  I felt part of something bigger... something exciting.


Coming out of the exam, I didn't feel like I'd performed too well, but it felt like nothing could dampen my day.  Whilst waiting for my lecture, I wandered into the cafeteria... picking up a coffee and watching a slightly amused, slightly annoyed server attempt to explain to a very asian student what "Chilli Con Carne" was.  After the lecture and in between classes, I returned to the outdoor auditorium - relaxing in the warm sun while listening to a young girl murder "Love Is In The Air" onstage.  And after my long day of classes and assessment was over, I went to the bookshop and almost bought a uni T-Shirt. (Don't worry, I stopped short of going that far).


Today was one of those days that I felt like I was constantly being reminded how lucky I am.  I'll be doing this course for the next 5 years - possibly 6 if I go for my Doctorate.  And although this may be tough at times, I'm not juggling it against a Full Time job.  (And by the way, I truly take my hat off to those mums... THAT's hard work!)  I will be spending the next 5 years of my daughter's life like this... I will be spending those first, crucial, precious 5 years with a schedule that changes every semester. With a two month holiday in the holiday season.  With days off here and there during the week.  I have so much time to spend with my daughter in between these classes, lectures, exams and assignments.  Sure, I may have to work weekends... but at least I get a day here and there, or an hour if I want to skip a lecture and hang with her before taking her to daycare.


I am so incredibly blessed.  Yes, uni can be stressful. During assessment time - end of semester assessment time - I'll probably have a highly strung blog post going up, because it is truly a nightmare.  But I'm not in an office from 8:00am - 5:00pm, Monday to Friday. I get to spend some time with my baby girl. I get to enjoy the sunshine at uni, be a part of the buzz around campus, eat my sandwich on the grass while watching someone attempt to sing, and drink my coffee in the cute little cafeteria whilst opposing cultures collide.  It's springtime, and I'm happy to have the life I have - I'm blessed to be alive.


Take a moment if you have one to look around and see all the amazing things we take for granted.  Guarantee it'll make the bleakest of circumstances seem insignificant.


till next time blog-land!
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment